Chan-A-Sue Quits GCA

Date Published: 
Stabroek News
Donald Duff

Georgetown Gricket Association (GCA) president Paul Chan-A-Sue yesterday declared he has tendered his resignation from the GCA.

Chan-A-Sue, who was elected president in January this year, was reacting to a report that a group of GCA members had expressed concern that a no-confidence motion moved on him was not being addressed.

However, Chan-A-Sue, who is also president of the Demerara Cricket Board (DCB) said he had tendered his resignation to secretary Wycliffe Mc Allister after it was brought to his attention privately, that being president of both boards represented a conflict of interest.

"I subsequently wrote my resignation and informed Mc Allister," said Chan-A-Sue, who added that shortly afterwards he left the country for the United States on a personal matter.

The concerned group of GCA members had earlier said that the inability of the GCA to address the no-confidence motion on Chan-A-Sue was helping to stagnate the development of cricket in Georgetown. The no-confidence motion was moved by Malteenoes president Claude Raphael and seconded by Neil Singh of Georgetown Cricket Club.

However, Chan-A-Sue said the no-confidence motion became ineffective after Singh wrote him on January 31, withdrawing his signature and apologising to him, Chan-A-Sue revealed.

They charged that it was now May and that only one first division match between DCC and GYO was completed. The association members also said that at a time when sponsors were difficult to come by, that the GCA by its inactivity, could see the body losing some of its sponsors.

But Cha-A-Sue said the concerned members seemed to be unaware of what cricket is being played. He said the reason for the staying of matches was as a result of unavailable grounds. Chan-A-Sue added that Malteenoes had declared that they were doing their ground while the Everest and GCC grounds were unavailable because of the India tour.

Chan-A-Sue also said that there is a cricket competitions committee which is responsible for the staging of competitions. He said a system was set up so that there would be matches, including those in the Harold Dhanraj competition as soon as the Test match at Bourda ended, but pointed out that grounds were not available and then the weather began to get worse.