GCA Enjoys Fruitful 2012
The Georgetown Cricket Association closed its 2012 season for the Christmas holidays, and planned to resume on the 12th January, 2013, weather permitting. The GCA had planned to run off 9 competitions in 2012 but, due to the inclement weather, only 6 tournaments were possible. The competitions that were played were:
- The Brain Street Under-15 limited-overs competition, which was won by DCC who defeated Transport Sports Club in the final.
- The David Persaud Investment Under-19 50-overs competition. This competition was won by DCC-B, with the runner up being DCC-A.
- The New Building Society 2nd division 40-overs competition. GCC emerged victorious; runner up was DCC.
- The Queensway Open Cup 50-overs Knock-Out competition. GCC got the better of DCC to take championship honours.
- The 2011 1st Division (Carib Beer) and (Friends of Cricket) Heroes Cup was completed in 2012. Malteenoes Sports Club edged DCC to take the silverware.
- GNIC won the 2nd Division 2011 Noble House Seafoods tournament, ahead of UG, which was also completed in 2012.
Meanwhile, the 1st Division HADI’s World Incorporated City Mall and the 2nd division Noble House Sea Foods 2-day competitions will be completed in 2013. Below are the point standings in the 1st (Hadi’s) and 2nd (Noble House Sea Foods) division tournaments.
Chairman of the GCA competitions committee Shawn Massiah said that the 2012 50-overs Under-13 competition, as well as the 1st and 2nd division Twenty20 competitions, were not played but will get underway in 2013.
The members of the GCA would like to thank their sponsors for their support in 2012 and wish them a bright and prosperous 2013, as well as the executives of all cricket clubs in Georgetown and their hard working groundsmen, the media and supporters.