GCB Yet To Comply With Ministry

Date Published: 
29-Dec-2011
Source: 
Guyana Times
Author: 
Rajiv Bisnauth

The controversially elected Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) has not yet handed over the relevant documents connected with the business of the Guyana Cricket Board. A close source from the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Guyana Times Sport yesterday that the board did not hand over any documents to the office of the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary.

Information leaked to the media recently revealed that the sport minister, through a letter dated December 23 and addressed to the former GCB Secretary Anand Sanasie, ordered that the GCB must immediate ly deliver to the Ministry’s Permanent Secretary, the relevant documents that are connected with the business of the Guyana Cricket Board.

In the minister’s correspondence to the GCB, which was seen by this news entity, the sport minister said: “ In the circumstances, I kindly request that you (Sanasie) forthwith cease to act as, or on behalf, or hold yourself out to be a representative or an agent or an officer of the Guyana Cricket Board and that you immediately deliver to the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport, Mr. Alfred King all or any properties, account, record(s) or books owned by, or which touch and concern, or are connected with the business of the Guyana Cricket Board.”

The controversially elected GCB is being replaced by an Interim Management Committee (IMC) which will now handle the day-to-day affairs of Guyana’s cricket for the next six months. This was done in fulfillment of a ruling by the Honourable Chief Justice Ian Chang on 22 August 2011 that an IMC shall assume the administration of cricket nationally in lieu of the Guyana Cricket Board.

Meanwhile, when this newspaper visited the board’s main office on Regent Street yesterday the gate to the main entrance was padlocked, as were the doors that were visible from our vantage point. Attempts to contact former secretary Anand Sanasie proved futile.

Clive Lloyd, the former West Indies captain, who is a member of the West Indies Cricket Board and the International Cricket Council was appointed to head the IMC. The IMC will comprise of fifteen members. Eight of these persons would come from the previously recognised boards. Of the eight persons, two would represent Berbice, two Essequibo, two would represent the previously recognised Guyana Cricket Board. There will be one representative each from the factions of the Demerara Board.

The IMC will be in place for a limited period of six months. During this period it would report on a monthly basis to the sport minister.

Upon completion of its work the body will report on its major findings, make recommendations for the way forward and invite an authority with competence in electoral matters to hold elections for office bearers at both the county and national levels.

Meanwhile, this publication has learnt that Lloyd is currently in Guyana but this newspaper was unable to contact him.

News: