Heroes Cup Final Day Rained Out

Date Published: 
Guyana Chronicle
Chronicle Staff

EARLY morning rain yesterday forced the abandonment of play in all matches (both first and second division) that commenced the previous day under the auspices of the Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA). In the GCA/Heroes Cup first division competition, both the Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) and Guyana National Industrial Corporation (GNIC) were hunting first innings points against their respective opponents, after enjoying a fruitful first day in the two day encounter.

At the GCC ground, the home team took first strike and scored 306 in their encounter against Police Sports Club (PSC) before they were bowled out, thanks to Gavin Singh’s 93 that was decorated with 13 fours, along with Robin Bacchus’ 47 (9x4) and Clevon Hyman 39 (4x4).

Bowling for PSC, Sheik Fazal, Pernell London, Vishal Jaigobin and Jason Heyliger each took two wickets for 27, 46, 60 and 85 runs respectively, but in their turn at the wicket, PSC were shakily placed on 54-5 at the close of play, thanks to the bowling of Joshua Wade who ended with 4-34.

Wade took three of his wickets in one over that gave his side their formidable position at the close of play, with Rawle Browne leading PSC’s fight with his 23.

At the Demerara Cricket Club (DCC) ground, GNIC dismissed the home team for 294, despite discarded national all rounder Christopher Barnwell leading the way with 68 (5x4) and Trevon Griffith offering support with 53 (3x4; 2x6).

Jahron Byron, who earlier added 65 for the second wicket with Griffith, struck two fours in his 40 while Carlisle Barton and Utam Munroe who added 46 for the ninth wicket, chipped in with 30 and 28 respectively.

Ejaz Mohammed led the bowling for GNIC with his 4-72 and received support from Paul Persaud and former national Under-19 fast bowler Ryan Hercules who took two wickets each for 8 and 67 runs respectively, following which Quincy Ovid-Richardson struck an unbeaten 15 as GNIC reached 24-1 at the close of play.