Saints vs Berbice High (26 Jul 1950)

St Stanislaus Magazine
Match: St Stanislaus vs Berbice High School (26, 27 Jul 1950)
Competition: 1950 CR Jacob Cup, final
Format: 2 innings
Venue: Queen's College ground, Georgetown
Toss: Berbice High School
Result: Saints won on first innings lead
Berbice High School first innings
Batsman How out Runs
A Bacchus c wkpr Hazlewood b Gibson 0
F Akai   b Patoir 13
G Fryer st Hazlewood b Marques 2
L Thomas c N Thomas b Patoir 31
S Wailoo c Marques b Patoir 8
C Batson   b Patoir 0
S London   b Shepherd 6
G Trotman st Hazlewood b Patoir 4
P Ramkissoon c Persaud b Shepherd 1
I Kalli c Marques b Shepherd 5
G Gaskin not out   14
Extras   8
TOTAL (all out) 92
St Stanislaus bowling
Bowler O M R W
O Gibson 7 4 10 1
F Marques 6 2 9 1
B Patoir 11 0 30 5
R Shepherd 10 4 21 3
St Stanislaus first innings
Batsman How out Runs
AJ Persaud   b London 18
J Hazlewood   b Wailoo 3
O Gibson   b Kalli 23
F Marques c Batson b London 17
B Patoir   b London 10
N Thomas c wkpr b London 4
H Shepherd not out   7
M Camacho   b London 7
R Shepherd not out   8
V Charan did not bat    
V Mahanger did not bat    
Extras   3
TOTAL (for 7 wickets) 93
Berbice High School bowling
Bowler O M R W
L Thomas 6 2 9 0
G Gaskin 3 0 12 0
S London 14 3 33 5
S Wailoo 13 5 27 1
I Kalli 2 0 9 1

(Match Report by AJ Persaud, captain of St Stanislaus)

It was a lovely sunny day with crystal blue sky when Freyer, the Berbice High School captain won the toss, and elected to bat on a wicket which looked like a Roman pavement discovered by antiquarians, or a grave or historic burrow containing the honourable bones of those departed and disillusioned bowlers.

Despite this, after Berbice had scored 65 for 5 at the lunch interval, a heavy downpour prevented play for the rest of the day. They were completely baffled by Patoir, who, with his leg-breaks and booseys, beat their bats with monotonous regularity. Shepherd too jumped at his chances and performed a bluff sweet enough to make the pavilion cat laugh.

The next day Berbice were all out for 92. But Saints, occupying the wicket, fared little better and struggled to pass this total. However, this was achieved by 3:30. Raymond Shepherd partnered by his younger brother made the winning hit and, after 13 long dreary years full of toil and hardships, the good old Saints ship, manned by eleven never-to-be-forgotten boys, was brought safely into port. The final was won. The Jacob Cup was Saints'.