|Name:||Georgetown Cricket Association|
|Address:||c/o P&P Insurance Brokers, 35 North & King Streets, Lacytown, Georgetown|
The Georgetown Cricket Association (GCA) is responsible for cricket in Georgetown, the capital of Guyana, which had an estimated population of 135000 in 2006. The GCA was founded in 1992 as a geographical division of the Demerara Cricket Board, which was formed a few months earlier. The University of Guyana, at Turkeyen on the East Coast of Demerara, plays in GCA competitions.
First division clubs under the GCA include: Demerara Cricket Club (DCC), Everest Cricket Club (ECC), Gandhi Youth Organisation (GYO), Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC), Guyana Defence Force (GDF), Guyana National Industrial Corporation (GNIC), Malteenoes Sports Club, Police Sports Club and Transport & Harbours Department Sports Club (TSC).
Second division clubs under the GCA include: Ace Warriors, Diplomats Sports Club, Muslim Youth Organisation (MYO), Third Class, University of Guyana (UG), Vikings and YMCA.
Past presidents of the GCA include: Paul Chan-a-Sue and Alfred Mentore.
The Georgetown Cricket Association planned nine competitions for 2012 but, due to the inclement weather, only six were played. They were:
- Brain Street Under-15 limited-overs competition, won by DCC who defeated Transport Sports Club in the final.
- David Persaud Investment Under-19 50-overs competition, won by DCC-B, with the runner-up being DCC-A.
- New Building Society 2nd division 40-overs competition, won by GCC, with the runner-up being DCC.
- Queensway Open Cup 50-overs knockout competition, won by GCC, with DCC being the runners-up again.
- 2011 1st Division (Carib Beer) and (Friends of Cricket) Heroes Cup was completed in 2012. Malteenoes was the winner with DCC in second place.
- 2011 2nd Division Noble House Seafoods competition was also completed in 2012. GNIC was the winner, with UG in second place.
Meanwhile, the First Division HADI’s World Incorporated City Mall and the 2nd division Noble House Sea Foods 2-day competitions will be completed in 2013. Below are the point standings in the first (Hadi’s) and second (Noble House Sea Foods) division tournaments.
Chairman of the GCA competitions committee Shawn Massiah said that the 2012 50-overs Under-13 competition, as well as the first and second division Twenty20 competitions will commence in 2013.
The Annual General Meeting was held on 28 February and a new executive body was elected. See new executive here. Matters discussed included:
- The non-playing of the female, Under-15 and Under-19 competitions;
- The University of Guyana application for full membership of the GCA;
- A request from Ace Warriors Cricket Club for assistance to build its own venue;
- A request from parents that Under-15 competitions not be played during the school year;
- The return of GYO to the first division.
|Assistant Secretary:||Captain Ron Daniels (GDF)|
|Assistant Treasurer:||Dennis Wilson|
|Public Relations Officer:||Colin Alfred|
|Competitions Committee Chairman:||Shawn Massiah|
|Marketing Manager:||Eric Whaul|
|Auditor:||PKF Barcellos, Narine & Co|
The GCA held a 40-ovrs Under-19 competition. Participating teams included: Ace Warriors, DCC, Everest, GCC, GNIC, GYO, Malteenoes, Police, Queen's College, Richard Ishmael Secondary School, St Stanislaus, Third Class and Transport.